Monday, October 10, 2011

Gift Card


I included this gift card with a fall bouquet of flowers that I brought to my friend's house as a hostess gift.  I wanted to add a note with the flowers to let them know what the blooms were and also that there were seeds and cuttings in the bouquet that they could plant in their garden.

There was a time when I would just hand write a little note on a scrap of paper and be done with it, but then I ran across this post at notmartha.org of the cutest little mason jars filled with red velvet cupcakes (which looks *really* yummy, so you should try it - or at least stare at them for a little while!).  The thing I love love loved about this presentation was not the jars, but the label.

Adding a nicely designed label to the red velvet cupcakes really made the presentation go from homemade to handmade.  It was that extra little touch that most folks wouldn't bother with or outright notice, but it added the finishing polish to the gift.  Simple. City. Sweet.

Total Time: 1/2 hour


I used a template in MSWord to get started.  


Changing the color scheme helped it match the bouquet.


A softer font brought in the feeling of the cascading stems and blossoms.


I changed the Master Page color scheme to an earthy tone.


Added text for the front of the card.


Then added text for the back of the card.

Since the card is printed on both sides of a piece of paper, the front of the card has to be on the lower right of the page, while the back of the card is on the lower left of the page. (Yes, I did waste the ink on this one figuring that out!)

I printed the card out on 8 1/2" x 11" card stock and cut it out with scissors.  Then I used the center hole of a 3-hole punch to punch a place for the twine to go through.


I think it came out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment