Monday, January 16, 2012

Biscuits and Butterflies


Last night I made olive cheesy biscuits as part of the football fare.  I based them on my girlfriend's sausage and cheese biscuit  - sort of.

She always makes these delicious sausage and cheese biscuit hors d'oeuvres when we pop over.  They are so delicious!  She says to just toss in some cooked and crumbled sausage along with some cheese into a quick biscuit mix and pop them in the oven.  So quick, so easy.  Right.

Well, I've tried making her sausage and cheese biscuits and let me just put it this way.  My dog won't eat them.

It reminds me of my butterfly bushes.  I say "bushes" because there have been a few of them over the years.  My Dear Honey likes them, so I tried to oblige by planting one for him.  It died.  For three years I tried to get one to grow.  They died.  Finally I asked one of my gardening friends how they got their butterfly bush to grow.  His response, "I just stuck it in the ground and it grew."  I think this is a case of the butterfly bush all over again.

Anyway, back to the biscuits.

You'll need cheddar cheese, chopped olives, black pepper, some biscuit mix and some milk.


I used a cup of biscuit mix.


Toss that into a mixing bowl.


Take about 2 ounces of cheddar cheese.


Grate that up into the bowl with the mix.


Get about 14 green brined olives - the ones that come in the jar are fine.  That's what I used here.


Coarsely chop those up and add them to the mix.  Also add in a bit of pepper.  Leave out the salt though - the olives are salted enough already.


Add in the milk.  I used about a 1/3 cup of milk, but I didn't add it all at once.  Pour in about half of the milk and give it 3-5 quick stirs to mix it up.  It's a biscuit and you always try to stir biscuit dough as little as possible or they turn into hockey pucks.  And hockey pucks are not very tasty at all.  If there's still dry mix in the bowl then go ahead and add more milk.  You don't want it too gooey here, so go easy.


Here it is all mixed together.  There's a little bit of dry clinging to the side of the bowl - that's okay. 


Drop heaping teaspoons of the mix onto a lightly greased baking sheet.  Bake for 8-10 minutes at 450-degrees.  The bottom should be golden brown.


And there you have it - olive cheesy biscuits.  They're as easy as growing a butterfly bush - or so I'm told.

No comments:

Post a Comment