Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Bootie Call


Five of my friends are heading into the last few days/weeks/months of their pregnancies and that means one thing - time to make the booties.

I used to have a super pattern for baby booties, mittens and hat - but I lost it.  I know I still have it somewhere, but after 2 days of looking I still can't find it and my first set is due tomorrow.  Well, my girlfriends always say that I work best under pressure so I guess now is my chance to shine!

Here's what I came up with for the bootie.  It works up quickly - about 20 minutes per boot including stitching it up.


I know that most knitters love to use wonderful wools to knit with, but I've found that most new moms prefer a washable fiber so I use a super soft acrylic yarn.  Soft enough for the newborn, tough enough to  let all of the drippy things that come out of newborns get washed away in the laundry.

Size E crochet hook
1 oz. Fingering yarn

Row 1 - ch 34
Row 2 - hdc across, ch 2
Row 3 - hdc across, ch 2
Row 4 - hdc across, ch 2
Row 5 - dc across
Row 6 - sl 5, ch 3, dc in same stitch as ch 3, dc across, leave 4 unworked
Row 7 - dc across, ch 3
Row 8 - dc across, ch 3
Row 9 - *fpdc, bpdc* across

Whip stitch seams.  Weave blue and pink ribbons through the front/back post double crochets - the new mom can just remove the appropriate color.  You can roll the edge down for a cuff, or leave it up for extra warmth.  

Abbreviations:
ch - chain
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet
sl - slip stitch
fpdc - front post double crochet
bpdc - back post double crochet


I think they're pretty darn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment