Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Tomato Tomato


You say tomato, I say tomato.  Hmmm - that doesn't really translate well in text does it?


The tomatoes are ready for harvesting so I spent the evening out in the vegetable garden, flashlight in hand, hunting for the ripe ones.  My DH really loves these bite-sized "Jelly Bean" tomatoes.  Wrap them in a basil leaf and it's the perfect mouthful of Italian goodness.


Of course, I had to plant some cherry tomatoes.  They're perfect soaked in vodka and dipped in Bloody Mary spices.  And then I needed to have some heirlooms just for BLTs.

Over the next week or so, they'll all ripen and we'll get the ones that the rabbit leaves us.  He only takes one bite out of each one - I guess it's the best bite.

Once we're done with eating and gifting, I'll dehydrate the rest and pack them in olive oil with some garlic cloves.  They keep for a few months that way so we'll still have our garden harvest in January.

This is what makes the vegetable garden worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment