Saturday, September 1, 2012

Italian Harvest


More tomatoes today.  But I also decided to pick a few grapes to make it a real Italian harvest.  We mostly have the Jelly Bean tomatoes - they were still hot when I picked them off the vines.

I don't know what it is, but there's something so right, so home, so perfect about eating a sun warmed tomato fresh from the vine.  They are little bites of sunshine!


It was also time to harvest the shallots and chives.  This was our first year trying to grow shallots - and aside from me planting them 9-inches deep (oops!), I think they did pretty well.  We got 4-5 new shallots for each one that we planted.

The chives were perfect too.  The new ones from this year are thin and delicate - the ones that we over-wintered look almost like scallions.  They are huge and hardy with a strong flavor.

My DH has been in snack heaven since I brought these in.  He's torn between wrapping a chive around the tomato and popping it in his mouth, or wrapping a fresh basil leaf around a tomato and popping it in his mouth.

Either way, it's a win-win for him in the snack department.

And you have to love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment