Saturday, June 2, 2012

Plantin' Time


I wanted to spend the day doing what this dragonfly was doing - just sitting on a rock and sunning myself.  But I knew that wasn't going to happen.  I knew it yesterday.  I knew it all last week.  But still, the thought crossed my mind.

Instead, I focused on the gardens.  When most people walk through our gardens, I don't think they see the same thing that we do.


This is a gardener's perspective of the garden.  Down and dirty on your hands and knees for hours at a time.


It's not really pretty.  It's actually kind of slimy and icky (those are technical gardening terms).  But it has to be done to get the garden cleaned up and ready for the tours.


I guess the secret would be to find some type of plant to plant in the gardens that was really low growing and would eat all of the dead plant material from the taller pretty plants.  I haven't found that plant yet.

So until then, my DH and I will be outside on our hands and knees going through each and every square inch of our gardens pulling out the dead foliage and weeding.

On the bright side, after we finish weeding a bed we can then put in the new plants.  So today was on the bright side because I put in a new peony tree and Hemerocallis 'Barbara Mitchell' (Pierce-C., 1984).  Barbara Mitchell is not an historic daylily, but she is pretty - all pink and ruffles with lots of 6-inch blooms.

And on the brightest side of all, the daylily circle is now weeded and done, done, done, done, done!  It's the worst bed to weed out of the whole garden because every year it has sticker bushes and nettles to go with the slime and muck that the daylilies generate, but I don't have to do it again until next year except for the occasional water sprout or dandelion.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment