Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chocolate Inspirations

Perhaps I should file this under "what was I thinking", but here is what I have gotten myself into.  This Friday I am going to a - I guess I'll call it a pot luck dinner.  I'm bringing dessert.

I have no idea who likes what, who is allergic to what or what any of the rest of the meal will be.  I just know I have to bring dessert.

Stupidly, I said I would bring something chocolate.  At first I thought - chocolate! so easy! But then I really thought about it.  Cakes take a lot of time to decorate.  Cupcakes - same as cake. Pie - too Fall/Winter for pie, especially chocolate pie.  Ack! Argh! Wahhhh!

So I surfed for inspiration and here's what I came up with.

Chocolate dipped dried apricots with almonds.  Simple, 3 ingredients, 15 minutes.

Cocoa meringues.  Simple, 5 ingredients, 10 minutes - then 2 hours cooking, but really only 10 minutes.

Pound cake petits fours. Simple, 2 ingredients, 15 minutes.

Chocolate with crushed pistachios. Simple, 2 ingredients, 15 minutes.

So here's the plan.  I got all the ingredients from the store tonight.  Tomorrow I'll spend an hour putting it all together.  Then I'll just pop the goodies into some cupcake foils and toss them in the freezer.  On Friday, I'll rush home from the train, grab the stuff from the freezer, toss half into a bag, toss the other half into baking boxes for take-home treats, toss it all in another bag and drive like a mad woman to the pot luck.

I'll only be an hour late to the dinner, but since I've got the dessert, it won't matter so much.

Good plan, right?

What was I thinking!?


2 comments: