Monday, February 27, 2012

For the Birds


Whenever I see a pile of pigeons I always am amazed at the colors.  They are like little flying rainbows when you get to see them close-up. And they really are not shy at all.  I think they know we will move out of their way.

Pigeons are not really looked upon fondly most of the time.  Their nickname is "flying rats".  I'm not sure why, but that's what it is.  Even with that nickname I think there's something very "New York" about walking down the street and seeing a pile of pigeons going after a pile of birdseed that someone has tossed on the sidewalk.

The pigeons always get the main meal - even if the sparrows find it first, the pigeons come in and take over the pile - pushing the sparrows out to the edge.  The sparrows still get enough to eat because the pigeons are really messy eaters and never finish everything.

With all of their brightly colored feathers, I wonder if they could be called "city peacocks".  It sounds so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment