Friday, February 10, 2012

Quit While You're Ahead


Basking in the glow of my disastrous marmalade escapade, I decided that nothing would help me lick my wounds better than a nice bowl of chili.  I should have known better.


I couldn't find my mom's recipe, but I had made it 100s of times.  I had to know the basics and since I wasn't going for anything fancy, I thought I'd just dive right in.  How hard could it be?


Just sauté up some chopped onions in a little olive oil.  Smells good.  I am on the right track.



Add in some spices.  Salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic.  I'm feeling the recipe coming back to me like it was yesterday.


Toss in the ground beef and brown it nicely.  That looks good!


Add in the tomato.  Lots of tomato makes for lots of chili.  2 big cans should do the trick.


And we can't forget the kidney beans.  It wouldn't be mom's chili without the kidney beans.  But it looks a little soupy.  I was holding back on this, but I think it needs one more thing...


Tomato paste.  A whole can of tomato paste should thicken it right up. (Where were you to stop me!?)


Left to simmer on the stove until it was nice and hot.  My version of chili.  Doesn't it look cute with its' little dollop of sour cream?  It must be good!

Nope! Nasty!!! I''ve done it again.  This time it is edible - just barely.  It tastes like tomato paste with meat and vegetables throw in for texture.  Even adding more spices doesn't make a dent in the thick tomato goo that I thought would be chili.

Kill me now, I've made enough for a week.  It's not nasty enough to throw away.  I can't feed tomato to my pup.  My Dear Honey won't eat it - he laughed so much he dropped his spoon.

It's awful.

I should have quit while I was ahead - or in this case, while I was behind.  2 recipes.  2 strikes.  I think I'll make oatmeal for awhile just until I get out of this slump.  It happens sometimes.  Must be the full moon or something.  I'll just have to wait it out.

In the meantime, I have some chili to "enjoy".

Ewww.

No comments:

Post a Comment