Thursday, February 2, 2012

It's Groundhog Day!!!


It's my most favorite day of winter - Groundhog Day!  It's a day of hope.  As in - I hope it will be very cloudy in the morning so Punxsutawney Phil won't see his shadow.  As in - I hope there won't be very many ice storms this February.  As in - I hope the bulbs won't come up too soon and turn into little green icicles (again).

I spend the week leading up to Groundhog day looking for signs of spring.  This year I found a great one on the streets of Manhattan.  It's a little blurry because of a stiff wind coming up off of the Hudson, but do you see it?


Those five little leaves on a rose bush.  A tinge of red at the base of the green new Spring growth.  It's hope on a stem.

Sure, Manhattan is about two weeks ahead of our bucolic manor when it comes to the seasons warming up - and two weeks behind when it comes to cooling down.  So seeing these little leaves making their way out of the bud-state and into sunshine seeking little rose hands of happiness definitely gives me hope.

And that's why I love Groundhog Day!


No comments:

Post a Comment