Sunday, February 12, 2012

Where Is Everybody?

I haven't had a chance to just get outside and enjoy one of the best parts about living in the country for a week or so now, so today when the opportunity came knocking, I grabbed my truck keys and headed out the door.  I had a mission already in mind.  I was going to go see the cows.

I love watching the cows out in the fields grazing and resting.  Just hanging out with their friends, chewing cud.  Nothing much going on.  All calm and relaxed.  I know just the spot to get a good view.


No cows.  Well, it is snowing a little bit, maybe the geese will be in the field down the road.  I've been watching them come back from their winter vacation down south.


No geese. Okay.  How about those chickens that are always out next to the old barn?


No chickens.  The wild turkeys next to the tree line?


No turkeys.  Okay, I guess that is to be expected.  There doesn't look like there's much in the way of leftovers in this field.  There's another dairy farm down the road though.  Their cows might be out.


No even a crow.  Perhaps in the south pasture?


I know!  They are probably all down by the pond.  I see them there all the time when storms are coming through.  They must be there.


Alright.  No cows.  What about the sheep then?  They're always out.  They have built-in sweaters.  A little flurry or two isn't going to drive them inside.


Fine.  No sheep.  I'll just go see the horses.  They never go in before dark unless there's a lot of snow on the ground.


Maybe they went next door?


Am I the only one foolish enough to be outside today?


I guess so.  Time to go home for a nice cup of hot cocoa.  No cows, but the snow stopped and the sun is out.  Looks like it's going to be a good day to be outside after all - and they all missed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment