Thursday, April 26, 2012

Colorful Combos


I saw this combination of tulips and boxwood down a side street today.  It's so lovely.

The boxwood fills in the space around the base of the tree, making the display of tulips look really full.  And they planted them in all of the tree beds in front of their building.  I think it's a really nice use of the space, very low maintenance and quite a perky colorful show.

I'm always looking for different ways to combine plants.  I wouldn't have put the tulip with the boxwoods because I thought that there was too much gray in the leaf of the tulip - I thought it would look sickly.  But with the bright blossoms bobbing in the breeze (I just had to say that!), the gray leaf becomes more of a ground cover and the bloom on the tulips stands against the boxwood leaves.

Besides, red, yellow and green are always cheery to look at in Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment