Monday, April 9, 2012

Train Views


It's hard to get a good picture from a moving train, so when I saw this one came out, I just had to share.  The thing that makes my commute really worth it (most days) is this view out the train window.

It may not seem like much, but this is the beginning of "The Great Swamp" - a huge wetlands area filled with lots of plants and creatures.

Everyday there is something to see.  The heron nests and red stags are my favorites this week.  Next week it may be the water lilies and buffalo (they're on a farm).

I like watching the changing seasons - especially when I am toasty warm on the train and watching the snow falling outside, or sweltering outside and a/c cool on the train.  Either way, it's a good thing.  There's one part of the ride where it has been changing from swamp into a field.  The trees fell and built up the soil, then the grasses came in.  Each year it looks more and more solid - although I've heard from some of the locals that you wouldn't want to go for a walk - your legs would sink in about 8-feet deep.  But it looks solid from the train.

This little bit of water is at the north end of one of the reservoirs where the swans like to nest.  I can tell when Spring is coming because that's when their chicks start to hatch.  They're kind of funny the way the swans and ducks stay mostly to themselves - the swans go to the south end, the ducks are in the northern end and every so often they meet in the middle and socialize a bit.

I guess you could say they're "strange ducks".  Doh!

No comments:

Post a Comment