Friday, April 27, 2012

Friday Sky


There's something very relaxing about stepping off of the train on a Friday night.  Even though the train station parking lot is full of the regular commuters and weekenders all itching to get out of the station and get to their destinations, it's still a big de-stressing moment to step off of the train and know that I'm home.

I think a large part of this has to do with the fact that the city is 80 miles away behind that mountain range.  Right where those 2 ridges seems to come together there is a gap where the train passes through - and the city is 80 miles south of that.

Any stress that I may have had all week long has to follow me all the way home and make it past those mountains guarding our bucolic manor.  Not much makes it through the pass.  Sometimes I pictures little waves of stress trying their darndest to crash into those mountains, only to be knocked down like a tiny little gnat.

That mountain pass is my friend at the end of the day.

Sometimes it can be annoying, like when it stops a storm from leaving for a few extra days.  Sometimes it can be wonderful, like when it stops a storm from coming through.

Most of the time, though, it is a real concrete boundary between my city life and my country life.  So when I get home at night I'm truly here and not still overly focused on what happened at the office.  Sure, I may have to do some work from home.  I may have had a day that just refuses to be shaken off.

But most of the time I step off of the train, look south to those mountains and I just feel safe and at home.  And that's a good feeling to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment