Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lilacs in Bloom


Our lilac bushes have been beaten and battered down over the past year.  They are one of the older plantings at our bucolic manor.  They were put in in the early to mid-1900s.  Some years they do better than others.  This year, they aren't doing so well, but they still managed to put on a quiet show of loveliness just for us.

The thing that I love the most about the lilacs is how their scent fills the drive every evening.  When I get out of the truck and head into the house at night, I fell as though I am walking through a cloud of lilac perfume.  It washes away all of the train and city and leaves me country fresh as I walk in the door.

I won't be making any lilac jelly this year, but over the next few weeks I'll be enjoying the scent of these beauties.

No comments:

Post a Comment