Monday, May 14, 2012

Looking North


I realized that when I get out of work and head over to the bus stop, I am always looking south.  The old buildings, the trees in the middle of the streets, even the pigeons that are pecking up pizza crumbs are all south of the bus stop.

I just don't seem to look to the north.  Maybe it's because I know I'll be going there soon enough.  Or perhaps because I believe that if I stare long enough at where the bus is coming from, it will get here sooner.  It could even be that there is usually a wind coming down Broadway from the north and I'll get soot in my eyes if I stared in that direction.

Whatever the reason, I seem to have neglected the northern view.  So here it is.


Funny how just turning your head in the other direction can bring you decades forward.  The north is modern architecture - block building, little in the way of decorative stonework.  It's utilitarian - clean lines - purposeful - business.


The south is old, decorative, comfortable, family.


The north is people on the go, sleek, full of movement.

I wonder if it is simply coincidence that my camera caught a school bus in the south view and FedEx in the northern view.

Strange - but somehow summing it up perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment