Thursday, May 31, 2012

Color Scheme


We finally got the annual flowers in for the gardens.  This year I'm going for reds to golds to yellows for the main color accents as you come through our bucolic manor.

In a way it seems really late to be putting in the annuals - I feel as though we should have had them done weeks ago and I really feel a bit behind the gun on getting everything done for the tours in July.  But when I stop to think about it, it's not really late at all - it's actually exactly on time.

Our last "killing frost" was only 3 weeks ago even though it has been really warm for the most part.  A lot of our friends lost their early plantings.  And our late frost date was only 11 days ago.  So it's not really that late.

At least that's what I'm going to keep reminding myself.


This weekend is going to be a major planting time.  I think if I can get the south drive planted and the rest of the vegetables in I'll be pretty happy.  My DH will be dealing with the new beds - which is only right and proper since he's going to have to break ground and spend quality time with the tiller to make it happen.

But everything is here and ready to go.  It seems like a lot of plants to put in, but I know that they will all just blend into the perennials as soon as they are in the ground.

I'm going to hope for gentle evening rains and warm sunny days for the next 6 weeks before the tours start.  Just enough so we don't have to water and the flowers start popping out all over the place.

6 weeks.  Plenty of time.

Right...

No comments:

Post a Comment