Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Strawberry Candy


The gardens at our bucolic manor feature historic daylilies.  Initially, I was not a big fan of daylilies.  I always associated them with funeral flowers - sort of depressing.

But now - after seeing thousands of daylilies both in person and photos - I've changed my mind.  I really like them!  The blooms come in all shapes and colors, and they start blooming in May and don't stop until October.   Some of them even bloom twice (early, then late).

The best part about them, though, is the foliage.  I think it look almost like an ornamental grass - so it's a great border plant.  And you can plant it on top of your bulbs.  The daylily hides the bulb foliage as it dies back which makes for less weeding. (And you know how I feel about weeding!)

This daylily, Strawberry Candy, is the most popular daylily in the northeast.  It's more pink in real life than the picture shows - it sort of glows pink.  And it's a small flower - 2 1/2-inches.  But it is delicate and it contrasts really well with its' foliage, so it stands out even from across the yard.

This is the first time that it has bloomed for us.  We get the plants when they are small so they can grow a good root system before they start producing flowers.  I think it makes for a stronger plant in the long run.

Strawberry Candy - delicious daylily eye candy for our garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment