Thursday, March 29, 2012

Flowers in the Bower


The flower bower forsythia are in full bloom this week.  They surround our little garden love seat and flutter above the tiny pond with it's water cascade. It's a lovely place to sit and watch the birds flit.

Right now the forsythia are about 12-feet tall since they got beaten down a bit over the winter.  In just a few short weeks they will soar to over 17-feet tall and my DH and I will precariously balance on a ladder to trim them into shape with a hedge cutter.

Last year I called a halt to balancing on the tip-top of the ladder while it was on the hill of the bower, so my DH sculpted out little tunnels in the forsythia so we could sneak in and set the ladder on a flat surface.  Much safer that way.

This year I think I'm going to put in some surprises inside of the tunnels so when the children come through during the garden tours they will find them.

In the meanwhile I think I'll just enjoy sitting out in the bower and watch the birds.  The time to trim and prune and weed will be here soon enough - and I need to save my strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment