Friday, March 16, 2012

Spotted Dog

I found the recipe card just in time for St. Patrick's Day.  I'm not sure where I got the recipe - I've had it for many many years, but I am sure it is the best soda bread recipe I have.  Actually, since it has raisins, it is really Spotted Dog, but just leave them out if you prefer plain soda bread.

Sift together 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg.

Cut in 6 Tablespoons shortening.

Stir in 2/3 cups raisins, 2 teaspoons caraway, and 1 cup buttermilk.

Knead the sticky mess for 1-2 minutes.  It will come together and smooth out.

Shape into a round then cut a 1/4-inch "X" in the top of it.

Bake it for 45 minutes at 375-degrees until it sounds hollow when tapped.

After you pull it from the oven, guard it carefully for at least 15 minutes so that no hungry men come around and pull off huge hunks of it before the steam inside sets a bit.

Then cut it up into chunks and serve with creamy butter slathered all over the top.

Usually I end up making about 4 of these on St. Patrick's Day.  1 for the dinner table, 1 for snacking on and the others for neighbors who seem to just show up at the door for some unknown reason...

No comments:

Post a Comment