Monday, March 12, 2012

Irish Time is Near

St. Patrick's Day is coming this week and the traditions must be observed.


This corned beef and cabbage is a good representation of what I'll be serving come dinnertime on St. Patrick's Day.  The ingredients are few, but they are specific.  So tonight I went to the grocery store(s) to make sure I have what will be needed for this weekend.

St. Patrick's Day Grocery List

Corned Beef & Cabbage:  Corned Beef, Green Cabbage, White Potatoes, White Onion (jumbo), Carrots, Guinness Stout (bottles), Bay Leaf, Peppercorns, Sea Salt.

Irish Coffee:  Jameson Whiskey, Coffee, Heavy Cream

Irish Soda Bread (Spotted Dog): Flour, Raisins, Caraway Seeds, Salt, Baking Soda, Sugar, Buttermilk

These are the 3 dishes I make every year on St. Patrick's Day.  Since they are really plain foods - not a lot of sauces and seasonings - the key is to make sure the ingredients are very fresh so that the taste of the food shines.  The boiled potatoes should taste like the creamiest potatoes you have ever had.  The corned beef should practically melt in your mouth.

That's the goal.  There are the ingredients.  Now I just have to find my recipe cards!

It's okay, though, I have all week...

No comments:

Post a Comment