Saturday, March 31, 2012

Michigan Garden


It only comes around once a year, but when it does, it is a thing of beauty.  I'm talking about my Michigan Garden, of course!  

It's the colors of the University of Michigan football team - the maize and blue.  Not that it is maize - it is forsythia.  And not that it is the navy blue - it is the chionodoxa, Lake Superior on a bright summer's day.  It's Michigan to me.

I wait for this moment every year.  It is fleeting.  Some year's it happens during the week and I don't get to see it, but this year I was lucky and it happened on the weekend.  Both the forsythia and the chionodoxa reached their peak bloom on a Saturday.

How cool is that!?


It's the first highlight of the garden for me.  It reminds me of the first place where I grew up.  It reminds me of home.  It reminds me of family.

Even though the individual flowers are so small, they make a big impact.  I love that this is right up in the front of our bucolic manor.  I love that people stop to take a look and I see the smiles on their faces.  I even love seeing it lit by the streetlight when I go to work in the morning before the sun rises.

It's my piece of Michigan.  A little bit of home in the place I now call home.

No comments:

Post a Comment