Monday, March 19, 2012

Weather Math


Here's the question.  What does 79 minus 42 equal?  Answer: 1 winter coat, 1 scarf, 1 sweater, 1 hat and a pair of mittens.  

On this last day of winter, I left for work bundled up from head to toe in warm winter garb.  But!  Since I work in Manhattan it was much warmer by the time I got down to the city, the temperature difference at this time of year is about 40-degrees.  Today it was a 37-degree difference.

So while I enjoyed walking around outside all day without a coat or even a sweater, I still had to lug my winter clothes back across town to the train and then layer them on to get to the truck once I got upstate.

I've been commuting a few years now, but this strange weather gap is something that I've never gotten used to.  I've been snowed in while my southern friends are picnicking at the park.  I've spent the day buried under blankets in front of a wood stove, they've spent it in shorts and T-shirts in front of a barbecue.  It is the time of year when I really feel as though I live on a different planet from where I work.

This year, again no complaints here as I am not still living in an arctic icebox, but still it seems strange to go to work wearing mittens and then walk around without even a jacket once I'm there.

I'm just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment